Monday, May 28, 2012

Chicago Chess Tournament

Chess is a game that I will write about first. If you don't know how to do the four move checkmate, you will not understand the last bit of this writing. Search for how to do it. Then go back to the last bit.

On Sunday, May 28th, 2012, my dad and I went to a chess tournament in Chicago. First on Saturday May 27th, 2012, we ate dinner together with my friend Jonathon. We drove to a hotel. I practiced chess with him. I played a game with him. He said I made mistakes but we couldn't remember it. So we played another game while taking notation. We played with fake time too. Before we finished, we took a break. We played not a different type of chess game and didn't finish that either. He decided to sleep early for the 6:00 buffet. We got ready for bed. Then we slept.

The next day was Sunday. It was the day of the first day of the tournament. We ate our left overs from our dinner for breakfast. Next we drove to the tournament in Jonathon's car. We found a place to sit in between rounds. We practiced chess. When our pairings were up for our first round, I saw them and sat at the correct board. I won an unrated guy first. Total I played 5 unrated and 2 rated. I won 2 unrated and 2 rated people.  I won 4 total and 3 unrated which is also total losses. I took notation all rounds and took all of them home at the end. Jonathon asked if I won or lost every round I played. After the first round, my dad and I practiced chess together by playing a chess game.

Then was the second round's pairings. I sat at the correct board. He forced my king out and won. I told Jonathan and my dad every round. Now I played one round with my dad. After that my dad got food for lunch.He gave oatmeal and chocolate milk to me. I opened both of them. I ate them both at the same time. Jonathan and a friend named Leon shared two chicken tenders and a bag of french fries. My dad ate one cup of oatmeal and the rest of the chicken tenders. Then the pairings were up. We sat at the board and I lost because of his queen and rook. I always put the right score on the pairings sheet.

I went back to the chess board and practiced a couple times with my dad and Jonathan. I won Jonathan three times and I won my dad twice. The pairings were up and we sat at the next board. It was our last round for the first day. It was an old man that was 87 years old. He was a bit late for the game. He took a long time before he played his first move. He asked what my name was and asked why the clock started. Then he finally played his first move. I tried doing the Four Move Checkmate, but then it didn't work, so I did the Fried Liver. This time it did work. He moved his queen away and I took his rook. He played very slowly. I won five pawns and then another rook. We even traded off the queens. I was ahead by one bishop too. Right after I took the other rook, he only had a couple minutes left on his clock. Right after I said that, he resigned. The round finally finished. It took a really long time. There were only a couple people left that were playing. I wrote down my score on the pairing sheet, and I went back.We played by my notation, and checked how I won. I did that on a couple rounds before that too. Then it was time to go back to the hotel. We went swimming. After that, I ate some snacks and got ready for bed. Then we went to sleep.

The next day was our second day of the tournament. We went to McDonald's for breakfast and went straight to the tournament. My dad and I were the first ones out of the four families that went there. Then when the other people came, we practiced playing. The next pairings were up and we went to the right board. None of us had a clock that we were also playing with so my dad bought one. Then I won. We practiced again. When the next pairings were up, it was another unrated. Most of the unrateds were hard, so I lost to the unrated. Unrateds means unrated plural and unrated means you didn't play in a tournament or don't have rating which I explained in "My most unluckiest chess tournament ever.We practiced again. Now the next person I was versing was the second rated person I versed, so I won again by the Four Move Checkmate position. Rated means you have something called rating that I explained in "My most unluckiest chess tournament ever." I was happy that I won two rated people twice. We practiced for a long time, then we told Jonathan that if I got any prize, that he would give it to us. Then we left and went home. It was a three hour drive, and on the way, we started to charge the gas. Then we finally arrived home.

No comments:

Post a Comment